What is Acne?
Do you want to know what is acne? Acne is a skin disease in which oil glands secrete excessive sebum. It mostly occurs during puberty due to hormonal changes and excessive secretion from the oil glands. It commonly occurs in boys and girls. There are different types of acne. Acne is not a dangerous skin condition but if it is not treated on time it can leave deep scars on the skin. When people suffer from acne after puberty it is known as adult acne. This kind of acne may occur due to stress, unhealthy eating and hormonal disturbances. Acne that occurs due to hormonal changes is also known as hormonal acne.
Causes of acne
- The real cause of acne is now known. It is believed that the primary cause of hormonal acne is increase in androgen levels which is a hormone. It increases during adolescence. Increased secretion of androgens stimulates the oil glands to secrete more oil. Excessive oil breaks the cellular walls of skin pores and can give rise to bacteria.
- It is also believed that adult acne may also occur due to genetics.
- There are some medications that can produce side effects and can lead to acne. It is most commonly seen in the people who take too many prescription remedies on a daily basis.
- Use of greasy cosmetic items can also increase the risk of acne. Greasy cosmetics lead to more production of sebum that can give rise to acne.
- Women suffer from sudden acne on the skin during pregnancy. This happens because a lot of hormonal changes take place during pregnancy. Imbalance of the hormones during pregnancy can cause hormonal acne.
Signs and symptoms
Depending upon the type of acne, the following symptoms may occur:
- If it becomes a pustule, pus gets filled and it may ooze out suddenly. It is mostly painful and red in appearance.
- Some people experience small acne that spread to all over the face and forehead. There is itching and burning over the face. Face becomes red and it is painful too.
- Some acne can leave scars if not treated properly. It is difficult to get rid of scars if not treated on time.
Home remedies for acne
There are many home remedies that can be used for the treatment of adult acne at home:
You can make an orange face pack at home and apply it regularly to get rid of acne. Take orange peels and keep them in sun to get dry. Grind them to make powder and mix with milk or honey and apply all over the face. Leave for 10 minutes and wash your face with water. It gives a fresh and clean look to your face.