The prostate is a gland present in men. It is present around the urethra. It is walnut is shape and forms a part of the reproductive system of man. It is small in size but it may increase in size with growing age of a man. Enlargement of prostate is often called as benign prostatic hypertrophy. An enlarged prostate can restrict the flow of urine out of the bladder. Men after middle age suffer from this problem. The risk of enlarge prostate increases with age. It is a common problem and almost occurs in every man.
Causes of Benign prostatic hypertrophy
The main cause of prostate enlargement is not known. There are several factors that are linked to increasing age and changes in the cells of testicals that can play a role in increasing the size of the gland. It generally occurs in men who have normally functioning testicals. It is not found in men in whom testicals have been removed at an early age due to some disease or risk of developing cancer.
Men suffering from benign prostatitic hypertrophy may have some common symptoms. BPH symptoms include the following:
- Men complain of dribbling of urine after finishing urinating.
- Urinary retention may occur in some men.
- There is feeling as if bladder is not emptied completely.
- Incontinence is also a common symptom.
- Men suffering from prostate enlargement may have to wake up at night two or three times for passing urine.
- Pain may occur while passing urine.
- There is a slow start of urination.
- Men suffering from this problem may complain about straining during urination.
- A strong and sudden urge to urinate is a common symptom.
- There is a weak flow of urine.
Precautions to prevent Prostate enlargement
Men can take the following precautions to prevent the development of prostate enlargement:
- If there is an urge to urinate, one should immediately go to pass urine.
- Avoid drinking alcohol and caffeine containing drinks after dinner or before bed time at night.
- Avoid drinking too much fluid especially at night. It is best to drink fluids during the day time. Avoid drinking any fluids at least two hours before going to sleep.
- Avoid taking any over the counter medication without taking any advice from a qualified physician.
- Men should exercise regularly to boost up general health and avoid increase in number of cells. Kegal exercises are useful for strengthening of pelvic floor muscles.
- One should remain free from stress. It could enhance the chances of infection and recurrent urination.
- There are many herbal remedies available for the treatment of enlarged prostate gland. Saw palmetto is a wonderful herbal remedy that helps in reducing the symptoms of enlarged prostate.
- One should also make other changes in lifestyle such as eating healthy food. Nutritious food helps to provide nutrition to all parts of the body and prevents the development of dangerous health conditions. Read More