Menstrual cycle is a normal process that takes place after every 28 days in a woman. It is a sign of reproductive life in a woman. Menstrual period is a distressing condition for some women as they experience painful periods. They suffer from pain with period and also other symptoms. Women experience a lot of pain during period. Pain may occur in legs, back, abdomen and breast. Pain may be very distressing and women suffering from pain during period are not able to perform their daily activities. There are many period pain remedies that help women to avoid pain during period. Women who suffer from pain with period are unable to stand or walk properly. Painful periods are a common problem that may occur in women at any age. Pain may also occur due to certain other disease conditions such as ovarian cancer, uterine fibroids, endometriosis, etc. It is very important to do definite diagnosis to get the right period pain remedies.
Causes of painful periods
Cause of primary dysmenorrheal is not known. In primary dysmenorrhoea, there is excessive secretion of prostaglandins due to which there is hard contractions of the uterus. Due to hard contractions of the uterus, there is reduced supply of blood to the uterus that causes pain.
Secondary dysmenorrhoea may be caused by fibroids, endometriosis, or infection of the fallopian tubes.
Symptoms of painful periods
- The most important symptom of painful periods is crampy pain in the lower part of the abdomen. The main may radiate to the back and down to the legs.
- Pain may occur on the day when bleeding starts or in some women pain may start one day before the commencement of the periods.
- Pain may last for one day or more. In some women it may continue for 2-3 days or till bleeding does not stop.
- Headache, weakness, tenderness of breast, nausea, boating, is also common symptoms that are present during painful periods.
Period pain remedies
There are many home remedies that may be used for the treatment of pain during periods. Some of the important period pain remedies are:
- Application of hot packs around the abdomen and back gives immediate relief from pain. Women should keep hot water bottle during excessive pain.
- Try to drink warm fluids during painful periods. Warm fluids help in easy contraction and relaxation of the uterine muscles and give immediate relief from pain.
- Women suffering from painful periods should take complete rest to get rid of pain.
- Meditation and light yoga exercise also help in getting rid of pain.
- Pomegranate is a useful fruit that helps in getting rid of pain during periods. Women suffering from painful periods should start eating one pomegranate everyday to get rid of pain.
- Drinking more water also helps in getting rid of pain. Water acts as a detoxifier and helps to clean up your body from the waste substances.
- Women should avoid stress and should take proper sleep during periods to remain normal.