Sometimes vertical ridges may develop on the nails. These ridges may become prominent with increasing age. White lines may also develop due to some kind of injury or lack of nutrients. A few important nail care tips are given here that can help you to improve nail health and keep healthy nails.
Nail care tips
Always keep your nails dry and clean. This will prevent growth of bacteria and other germs under fingernails. If you are allergic to any chemical substance, wear cotton gloves while washing clothes and utensils.
- Maintain good nail hygiene. You should use a sharp manicure scissors or clippers to trim your nails.
- Use a moisturizer rich hand lotion and rub it into your fingernails and cuticles for improving nail health. It protects dryness of nails.
- Avoid using harsh nail polish remover. Find an acetone free formula to remove nail polish to prevent any damage.
- Avoid miss-using finger nails for poking or pry things open as it can damage your nails and can cause infection.
- Keep your nails short to prevent any injury.
Home remedies to keep healthy nails
Nails are made up of proteins. Nails become brittle if they develop any infection or get injured. Women use manicure and pedicure to keep their nails in good health. But, these are not only sufficient for maintaining healthy nails. You can also use basic home remedies to prevent damage of your nails. You can keep your nails healthy by using the following home remedies:
- Coconut oil is a wonderful home remedy. It acts as a wonderful moisturizer for your nails and helps to prevent nail infections. Massage your nails gently with slightly warm coconut oil for five minutes.
- Apple cider vinegar is also a good home remedy for brittle nails. Soak your nails in apple cider vinegar for five minutes. It prevents infection and makes your nails healthy.
- Sea salt is also a good remedy as it provides minerals to your nails. It also increases the strength of your nails. You can mix one or two teaspoons of sea salt in a bowl of water. Soak your fingers in the water for 10-15 minutes. Rinse afterwards with clean water, pat dry and apply a moisturizer. Use this remedy for two or three weeks to get good results.
- Boil neem leaves in a bowl of water and soak your finger nails in this water. Neem has anti-bacterial properties that help to prevent infection.